Survival Relevance

Post here if you want to share interesting angles or takes or applications of story theory from your own life.
Shannon B.

I really found it interesting how the book talks about how most of the time our brains are in Mode 1and basically auto-pilot in order to save energy. Then, if something is relevant to our survival - like we think there is a threat to our livelihood - that's when we use our Mode 2 to figure out a plan of action to avoid a crisis.

I didn't realize that I had lived most of my life in Mode 1, assuming that listening to my feelings was the right thing. If my gut told me to move across the country with a boyfriend, then I should do it. It didn't matter that I hadn't planned a way to make a living or even if I would like living there. I figured if my Mode 1 guided me there, then it must be the right thing. It wasn't until I got there and didn't have a job and my relationship wasn't working out that I had to put on my thinking cap, Mode 2. This did take energy. Apparently thinking uses a lot of calories, and it explains why it almost hurts to have to sit and focus and strategize a plan. On the other hand, Mode 1 takes no energy, and as long as your life is going OK and your life isn't in danger, there is no need to engage Mode 2.

Now I know that when I'm facing a situation, to think to myself, “Is this survival relevant?” If it is, I know that I'll have to use the mental effort of Mode 2 to help me think it through. But I'd rather do the hard work upfront instead of waiting for disaster to hit and have to think of a solution in the middle of a crisis.